Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Sunday Post: Fragmentary Blue

So, since it's Sunday, I should probably post about something religious-related. But I'm not too sure what to say. But there's a Robert Frost poem that I can talk about and relate somewhat to "eternity in our hearts," so I guess that's what I'll do. Oh, and by the way, since one of the few affordable things on my Christmas list this year was Robert Frost poetry books, guess what I got? Yes, that's right. Robert Frost poetry books. Four of them. For design, I'm liking the Everyman's Pocket Poetry version the best. Anyway...I'm pretty well set for Frost poetry for some time to come.

Alright, so here's Fragmentary Blue:

Why make so much of fragmentary blue
In here and there a bird, or butterfly,
Or flower, or wearing-stone, or open eye,
When heaven presents in sheets the solid hue?

Since earth is earth, perhaps, not heaven (as yet)--
Though some savants make earth include the sky;
And blue so far above us comes so high,
It only gives our wish for blue a whet.


Frost, in this poem, speaks about satisfying our need for the color blue not in small things, but in the sky, which is usually blue and is pretty huge. Looking upward, we can see a vast expanse of blue, and if we look at it with the right view, we can see how amazing it is that we are surrounded almost constantly by a vast blueness that should get our thoughts moving about where the blue came from and why it's there. As Frost says, "It only gives our wish for blue a whet," which means that our desire for the color blue is only temporarily fulfilled. Like all things, we cannot get enough of it, and we cannot be content even with the sky. We always want more, and we never find enough of whatever it is we want.

This post was a bit broken up. I didn't really get my mind to function so well. But maybe you can at least enjoy the poem, and draw your own thoughts from it and some of the things I rambled about. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment