Sunday, August 7, 2011

Learning.

Well, well, well. It's been close to 3 months since I updated this thing. The problem with not posting for so long is that, in the interim, so many things happen that it's hard to even know what to say when I do finally write. So.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about deeper things. God's been working. When He works (or I allow Him to), that tends to be the case. A conversation with some friends last week got me thinking about many of the dividing issues among Christians; predestination, baptism (is it necessary in order to "be saved"? No.), speaking in tongues, worship, and some other topics all came up. As I've been musing on them throughout the week, and talking about them with my brother/boss/pastor/friend while we work, the natural outcome of thinking about them so much has been to bring them up in conversations; with my sister Sarah, with my parents, and last night, with my friends after a long day of playing volleyball.
Friday night I stayed up later than I wanted to because I kept getting caught up in watching just one more Piper, Driscoll, or Keller youtube clip; I brought up Mark Driscoll saying that the hit movie Avatar is "satanic and demonic," and how it had made me question how I watch movies. Am I willing to just accept a movie as an enjoyable thing to see or story to be engaged in? Subsequently, I gave an example of a movie that I have felt rewards revenge as a means to an end: The Count of Monte Cristo.
At that point, my friend brought up a great point. One of my favorite movies having to do with romance, love, and chick-flick-ishness is 500 Days of Summer (starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel). Anyway, my friend, knowing this, asked me how I could feel like the Count of Monte Cristo is based on a false premise and dislike it when one of my favorite movies is based on perhaps an even worse worldview. Oops becomes--> Dagger--> becomes --> Touche.

The point of all this? I need to be aware of the conclusions I come to, and then apply them to my life. I need to be careful to analyze not only the movies that I am less likely to love, but also the ones that I can easily identify with. I need to look at the log in my own eye before seeking to take out the speck in my brother's. God has been teaching me so much. I have so much more to learn.
Lots to think about. I hope to share more of the thoughts that have been pinging about inside of my brain, soon.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I've been thinking about this too, lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We already talked today, but I just want to prove that I've been here and read this. :D

    ReplyDelete