Saturday, December 12, 2009

Switching things up...

I thought I'd vary the patterns around here and post some pretty sweet quotes from a wide spectrum of people and ideas. And then you can post favorite quotes in the comment section, and it will be fun. Perhaps I'll do some elaborating on some of these quotes, too, but I think I'll just see what keys my fingers hit and go from there.

We'll start off with quotes from a series of movies...try and name them:

"No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay…"

"If promises were crackers, my daughter would be fat."

"Whatever comes our way... whatever battle is raging inside us, we always have a choice. My friend ___ taught me that. He chose to be the best of himself. It’s the choices that make us what we are... and we can always choose to do what's right."


What movie series is that from? I inserted quotes from all of the movies in the series. :)

Here are a good few from Ben Franklin:

If you would not be forgotton as soon as you are dead and rotten, Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.

You may delay, but time will not.

Half a truth is often a great lie.


Search others for their virtues, thy self for thy vices

What makes resisting temptation difficult for many people, is that they don't want to discourage it completely.

Many a man thinks he is buying pleasure, when he is really selling himself to it.
And then one from J.R.R. Tolkien:

Not all those who wander are lost.
A quote post would not be complete without C.S. Lewis:

Even Robert Louis Stevenson has good things to say:

The cruelest lies are often told in silence.
I could go on for a long time with quotes, because God has granted men to think and say some beautiful things. But it's late, and I still have things to do. I think it would be fun if we had a comment sextion on this one and talked about our favorite quotes, so feel free to leave favorite quotes in comments, comment on quotes I put out, and name the movies the first quotes are from. But let's end with this quote:

The most exciting happiness is the happiness generated by forces beyond your control. -Ogden Nash



6 comments:

  1. I was gonna say the same, but since Arie beat me to the punch...I'll kick out some of my own faves.

    "All right, men: they're on the left of us, the right of us, in front of us, and behind us. In short, gentlemen, we are surrounded. They won't get away this time." --Lewis Puller, US Marine Corp.

    "Behind every successful man is a surprised woman." -- Maryon Pearson

    "Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and have their shoes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. two favorites that come to mind:
    "The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his version of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both." -- James Michener

    "When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age." -- Victor Hugo

    and two others i like for obscure reasons:
    "she has read too many books, and it has addled her brain." -- lousia mae alcott

    "as any student of literature must, she knew all the sins of the world by name, but it was doubtful whether she recognized them when she met them in real life." -- dorothy sayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm... good quotes. I must say the Ben Franklin ones are my favorite. Thanks for commenting on my blog recently. That always makes my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading great quotes- the funny ones that make me laugh and the profound ones that make me think about things from a new perspective. Thanks for sharing. I knew a girl who kept a notebook in which she wrote all of her favorite quotes. I should do that. I think C.S. Lewis is probably my all-time favorite author, as far as quotes go. He has so many good ones. A few of his that I think are really good are:

    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

    "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither."

    "Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work, Arie. The Spiderman series is great.
    Thanks for all the quotes guys. I just decided that your quotes were all entered into a contest of which quote posted would gain the distinction of taking its place in history in my quote spot in my sidebar. And Nate, congratulations. Go look at the sidebar. By the way...the rest of you aren't failures just cause you didn't win. Yours are pretty great quotes too. :)

    ReplyDelete