Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Simile For Her Smile

So. Here's a poem by Richard Wilbur that I found somewhere last year and wrote out in my poetry book. Because I like it a lot. He takes one image, and turns it into a picture that we can clearly see, which conveys a feeling. Pretty sweet writing. I wish I could write like that. Let me know what you think of it.

A Simile for Her Smile

by Richard Wilbur

Your smiling, or the hope, the thought of it,
Makes in my mind such pause and abrupt ease
As when the highway bridgegates fall,
Balking the hasty traffic, which must sit
On each side massed and staring, while
Deliberately the drawbridge starts to rise:

Then horns are hushed, the oilsmoke rarefies,
Above the idling motors one can tell
The packet's smooth approach, the slip,
Slip of the silken river past the sides,
The ringing of clear bells, the dip
And slow cascading of the paddle wheel.

3 comments:

  1. hey, peter.
    did you reactivate your facebook? i logged in a couple minutes ago, and your chat box was popped open on my account. i usually don't close my chat boxes, but i obviously wasn't having a conversation with you, so that's why i'm confused. that, and you're not in my friends list. its kinda weirding me out. do you know what's up?
    lemme know.
    marion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a great poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was preparing the test on the Introduction to Literature and found this blog when searching A Simile For Her Smile. You know what,it's not your article but your music that help me a lot!It let me concentrate on my work effectively.
    Thank you very much! They are really good music!

    ReplyDelete