Sunday, March 22, 2009

Busyness, Longing, and Matthew Arnold.

     So I think this has been the longest period between posts since I started this blog, and for that I am sorrowful. I am committed to posting, though, so don't think I've finished regularly updating. I'll try and put more time into a post soon, but this last week and this coming one have been and will be incredibly busy (last week due to set work and this week due to rehearsals and performances of Pocahontas...COME to it!). Throw in the fact that March Madness is finishing up its first weekend of amazing basketball, and the Kansas Jayhawks have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen...(YES!), and I haven't devoted much time to thinking up posts or writing poetry. So today, I'll have to post a great poem by Matthew Arnold, an English poet. I like this poem a lot....

It's called Longing:

Longing

Come to me in my dreams, and then
By day I shall be well again.
For then the night will more than pay
The hopeless longing of the day.

Come, as thou cam'st a thousand times,
A messenger from radiant climes,
And smile on thy new world, and be
As kind to others as to me.

Or, as thou never cam'st in sooth,
Come now, and let me dream it truth.
And part my hair, and kiss my brow,
And say - My love! why sufferest thou?

Come to me in my dreams, and then
By day I shall be well again.
For then the night will more than pay
The hopeless longing of the day.

1 comment:

  1. i heard that you gave a top performance this past weekend. congratulations, i wish i could have been there to see it. my parents bought me a ticket and everything, but i couldn't get back into town. :(

    anyway, just wanted to say hello.

    (oh, and this is marion, by the way. it's not letting me post as a google account user. dumb.)

    ReplyDelete